Are you planning to move abroad for pursuing your further education? Here’s how acing TOEFL can help you pave the way!
A standardized test to measure the English language ability of non-native speakers, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is reckoned to be the gateway for these aspirants to enroll in English-speaking universities.
With a score validity of two years, TOEFL is used in over 10,000 colleges, agencies and other educational institutions across 130 countries; making it one of the most important English language tests for moving abroad. So, here is Chandigarh’s best immigration consultancy and study abroad advisor, Raffles Educity telling you about the success mantra to score high in TOEFL.
- Plan your time judiciously: This four-hour test can be taken within one to four weeks of enrolling. However, it is imperative to note that TOEFL cannot be taken more than once every twelve days. So, the first step towards laying a strong foundation stone is to plan your time and date for giving the exam beforehand to avoid any last minute hasten and prepare accordingly. After all, time management is the key to success.
- Prepare according to the format: TOEFL aims at measuring the basic English language skills of the applicant through four different sections i.e. reading, writing, listening and speaking. The expected time to complete the reading section is 60-80 minutes and it consists of questions on 3-4 passages. These passages are usually from academic topics which evaluates the rhetoric understanding of the applicant. The listening section is spread across 6-9 passages of each 3-5 minutes in length. These passages usually include two student conversations and four academic lectures or discussions. The next section of TOEFL is speaking which essentially contains six tasks wherein two are independent and four are integrated. Whereas, the last section of the exam, writing measures the applicant’s ability to write in an academic setting through the means of two tasks wherein one is integrated and one is independent.
- Make a study plan: Now that you are aware of the nuts and bolts of TOEFL, the next step is to prepare a tailor made study plan and stick to it through the thick and thin. Invest more time in the sections that you feel require more learning and practice. Take guidance from an expert, especially in case of your writing and speaking section as it will help you get a mirror image of your learning.
- Focus on grammar and vocabulary: For a non-native English speaker, it is not unusual to mess with the grammar and vocabulary. However, let’s not forget that TOEFL is a language test and it expects you prove your expertise in English. So, go back to basics and ensure that your grammar and vocabulary is advanced.
- Take real-time practice tests: The key to perfection comes from utmost practice and an indomitable passion to excel. So, mark your perfection in TOEFL by taking real-time practice tests on a regular basis at least two weeks prior to actually giving the test. Read the instructions carefully, do not leave any questions blank and have faith in your ability. All the best!
For more details about TOEFL, get in touch with us today on our toll-free number: +919914219000